top of page
Search
  • Gerry Campbell

The serious health implications of household mold...

Updated: Feb 22



Serious health implications of household mold


Mold is a type of fungus that can grow in damp and dark places, such as basements, bathrooms, and kitchens. It can also grow on furniture, clothes, and other objects. Mold spores can float in the air and be inhaled, which can cause a variety of health problems.

Some people are more sensitive to mold than others.


People with allergies or asthma are particularly at risk of developing health problems from mold exposure. People with weakened immune systems, such as those with HIV/AIDS or cancer, are also at risk.


Health problems caused by mold exposure


Mold exposure can cause a variety of health problems, including:

  • Allergic reactions, such as sneezing, runny nose, itchy eyes, and skin rash

  • Asthma attacks

  • Respiratory infections, such as bronchitis and pneumonia

  • Hypersensitivity pneumonitis, a serious lung disease

  • Central nervous system problems, such as headaches, dizziness, and memory loss

  • Sick building syndrome, a collection of symptoms that can be caused by exposure to indoor air pollutants, including mold

In severe cases, mold exposure can lead to death.


How to protect yourself from mold exposure


The best way to protect yourself from mold exposure is to keep your home dry and well-ventilated. This means fixing any leaks or moisture problems in your home and using dehumidifiers or sanifiers in damp areas. You should also clean moldy surfaces immediately, however avoid dangerous bleaching and chemicals as they can also have serious implications on peoples health.


If you have mold in your home, it is important to remove it safely.


If the mold is in a large area or you are allergic to mold, you should speak to Gordon and the team at Insite Specialist Services.


Here are some easy tips for preventing mold growth in your home:

  • Keep your home dry and well-ventilated.

  • Fix any leaks or moisture problems immediately.

  • Use dehumidifiers or sanifiers in damp areas.

  • Clean moldy surfaces immediately, however you should avoid hazardous chemicals

  • Inspect your home regularly for mold growth.

If you are concerned about mold exposure in your home or business, you should talk to Gordon and his team. They can help you assess the risk of mold exposure in your home or business and develop a plan to reduce your exposure.


Feel free to email him at gordon.bruce@insitespecialistservices.co.uk or give him a call on 0141 056 5050.


18 views0 comments

ความคิดเห็น


bottom of page